- Remove the cap and hold the inhaler upright.
- Shake the inhaler.
- Tilt your head back slightly and breathe out.
- Hold the inhaler 1-2 inches away from your mouth.
- Spacers are useful for all patients, especially young children and older adults.
- Press down on the inhaler to release the medicine as you start to breathe in slowly.
- Inhale deeply.
- Hold your breath for 5-10 seconds to allow medicine to go deeply into your lungs.
- Repeat puffs as directed. Wait 1 minute between puffs to allow the second puff to get into the lungs better.
To use a dry powder inhaler, close your mouth tightly around the mouthpiece of the inhaler and breathe in quickly.