Asthma management has been transformed by the COVID-19 pandemic, with telemed-assisted management using home peak flow monitoring as an objective means of assessing control and guiding treatment. Managing your asthma and maximizing air flow rates is of crucial importance to prevent severe flares in the event of flu, COVID-19, or any other respiratory infections.
Are you a candidate for home peak flow monitoring of asthma?
- do you frequently or intermittently feel chest tightness?
- do you have a persistent cough?
- do you hear wheezing (a high pitched squeak) at times while breathing?
- do you feel like an “elephant is sitting on your chest” at times?
- do any of these symptoms occur when exercising?
- do any of these symptoms occur during colds or other respiratory infections?
- does a cough linger for weeks or months after a cold?
- does cold air, laughing, or talking make you cough?
- have you ever had to use an asthma inhaler (e.g., albuterol) or nebulizer treatment?
- have you ever been hospitalized for asthma?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, request a telemed appointment with one of our four Board Certified physicians specializing in asthma care, to bring your symptoms under solid control -- preparation is key!